The following was released by the City on Feb 14, 2022
The City of Ann Arbor has begun the process of updating the Ann Arbor Urban and Community Forest Management Plan. The existing plan, completed in 2014, provided a framework for managing the city’s tree canopy, an important asset that provides essential economic, social and environmental benefits to the community. The update will review existing goals and objectives, and recommend new implementation activities to sustainably protect, preserve, maintain and grow Ann Arbor’s urban forest.
As part of this effort, the City of Ann Arbor is creating an Urban and Community Forest Management Steering Committee that will help guide the update process. The city will select three residents to serve as representatives on the committee. To apply for the committee, please visit:
Or call 734.794.6356 to request a paper copy. Applications are due by 5 p.m. Monday, Feb. 28.
Resident steering committee members will:
- Advise on the plan update, provide technical and community expertise, and help guide the public engagement process.
- Provide unique perspectives and facilitate connections with their communities.
- Serve alongside representatives of community organizations, boards and commissions; public agencies and institutions; and city staff.
- Fill one of three available seats on the committee. There are many additional opportunities to be involved; all community members are encouraged to participate in community-wide meetings, surveys and other public engagement activities that will occur throughout the process.
Who should apply:
- Any Ann Arbor resident, especially those with an interest in trees and those from backgrounds typically underrepresented in city decision-making processes.
How will applicants be selected:
- Based on responses to application questions and the extent to which they contribute to a diverse, inclusive committee.
Information on the project and links to the steering committee application can be found at https://www.a2gov.org/departments/forestry/Pages/default.aspx