The following was released by the City on Mar 11, 2021
I posted about the public hearing on March 2nd here:
Public Input Welcomed During March 16 Planning Commission Meeting for Proposed ADU Ordinance Amendments
The City of Ann Arbor Planning Commission will continue to gather community input on proposed amendments to the existing Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) ordinance at its meeting Tuesday, March 16, 7 p.m. The commission is soliciting feedback on how ADUs may be realized in the community. This public hearing, continued from the Tuesday, March 2, meeting, provides additional opportunity for input on the proposed changes.
A summary of the changes, plus additional information, can be found here:
To participate in the *public hearing, join by phone: 877.853.5247, and enter Meeting ID 990 9896 8122.
You may also provide feedback or questions in advance of the meeting to email@example.com.
*This meeting will be available via Zoom in accordance with current local and state government guidelines. Audience members are invited to address the planning commission at this and other meetings for up to three minutes. Input may be submitted in advance to City of Ann Arbor Planning Services by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the notice for the March 2nd Planning Commission meeting:
The proposed amendments include:
- Expanding the Zoning Districts which would permit ADU’s to all Residential Zoning Districts – Currently ADU’s are only permissible in single-family zoning districts.
- Removal of the current 5,000 square feet minimum lot size requirement to construct an ADU.
- Amend the requirements that previously limited detached ADUs on those properties that had an existing accessory structure prior to Dec. 31, 2016. The proposed amendments would allow a detached ADU in any legally conforming detached accessory structure.
- Removing additional parking requirements if an ADU is constructed.
- Removing the requirement that the owner of the property resides on the property.