The following was released by the City on Feb 26, 2021
Community Input Sought on Proposed Amendments Regarding Accessory Dwelling Units at March 2 Planning Commission Meeting
The City of Ann Arbor Planning Commission will be considering proposed amendments to the existing Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) ordinance on Tuesday, March 2, 7 p.m. A public hearing will be held to invite community input on the proposed ordinance amendment and to share feedback directly to the commission.
The proposed amendments include:
- Expanding the Zoning Districts which would permit ADU’s to all Residential Zoning Districts – Currently ADU’s are only permissible in single-family zoning districts.
- Removal of the current 5,000 square feet minimum lot size requirement to construct an ADU.
- Amend the requirements that previously limited detached ADUs on those properties that had an existing accessory structure prior to Dec. 31, 2016. The proposed amendments would allow a detached ADU in any legally conforming detached accessory structure.
- Removing additional parking requirements if an ADU is constructed.
- Removing the requirement that the owner of the property resides on the property.
A public hearing will be held to provide for community input on the proposed amendments, and more information can be found at https://www.a2gov.org/departments/planning/Pages/Accessory-Dwelling-Units.aspx
Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
*This meeting will be available via Zoom in accordance with current local and state government guidelines. Audience members are invited to address the planning commission at this and other meetings for up to three minutes. Input may be submitted in advance to City of Ann Arbor Planning Services by emailing to email@example.com
To participate in the public hearing, join by phone: 206.337.9723 or 213.338.8477 or toll free 877.853.5247 or 888.788.0099; and enter Meeting ID: 929 1620 2435