The City recently confirmed that construction on Scio Church Road will begin in July 2021. This construction was originally scheduled to start in April 2021, but there were delays with the plan submittal and review process with MDOT.
During the summer of 2021, Scio Church Road (between South Maple and South Seventh Street) will be improved. Some water main service and hydrants will be relocated, stormwater management will be installed and the road will be resurfaced.
On Nov 16, 2020, City Council approved the prohibition of on-street parking on the north side of Scio Church Road between South Maple Road and Greenview Drive. On-street bicycle lanes will be implemented where the parking is removed.
The City has information about the Scio Church project here:
I posted previously about a public meeting in Jan 2020 for this project:
From the City’s website:
Tentative Construction Schedule:
July – November 2021
Scio Church Road between S. Maple Road and S. Seventh Street
Why is this project being done?
Some existing water service and hydrants are on existing water mains that are undersized and require repair. These leads will be transferred to the larger water main across the street. Also, the current condition of the pavement is poor and in need of replacement.
Work to be done:
- The existing water main leads will be relocated to the larger water main to increase capacity.
- The existing pavement will be replaced from S. Maple to S. Seventh.
- Some existing curb, sidewalk and ramps will be replaced for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance.
- Some storm water improvements will be done throughout the project, as well as within the median between Scio Church Road and the service drive between Greenview Drive and S Seventh Street similar to the median east of S Seventh Street.
- Some safety improvement features will be installed including new bike lanes, filling sidewalk gaps, and installing new crosswalks. Three new crosswalks will be installed in between Covington and Old Pear Tree Ct, near Churchill Drive, and near Mershon Drive. In addition, a connection sidewalk between Yeoman Court and Scio Church will be installed.
Possible impact to residents:
- Scio Church Road will be closed to through traffic for the duration of the construction. Driveway access for local traffic will be maintained, but may include delay during working hours. Cross street traffic will be maintained as much as possible.
- Water service will be interrupted for short durations during water main relocation for a few residents. Disruptions will be limited, and residents will be informed in advance.
- General noise and dust from equipment, particularly during site excavation.
Costs and funding source
City Street, Bridge, and Sidewalk Millage, Federal Funding, Storm Utility Funds, and Drinking Water Funds will fund the majority of the work on this project. New sidewalks adjacent to taxable properties will be funded by the New Sidewalk Millage which was approved in the November 2020 election.